*President Biden and the Democrats in the House and Senate want to extend this Child Tax Credit beyond 2021. Advocate for this with our Senators & Representative.
Want to Run for Office?
Democratic candidates who step up to represent their communities as elected officials keep North Carolina on the path to progress!
Are you interested in being one of them?
Contact Macon County Democratic Party via email (macondems.org) and fill out this form online and a member of our team will be in touch.
Here is the link to the form:
The American Rescue Plan:
Impacts on North Carolina
The Need for Action in North Carolina
The pandemic and the associated economic crisis have had a severe impact on North Carolina. The need for action is clear:
• Since the pandemic began, more than 873,678 people have been infected with COVID-19 and more than 11,533 people have died.
• The unemployment rate is 6.1%, up from 3.6% before the pandemic.
• Since February 2020, more than 190,477 fewer people are employed.
• 783,000 adults – 11% of all adults in the state – report not having enough food to eat. This includes 477,000 adults living with children, or 17% of all adults living with children, who report that the children in their household do not have enough to eat.
• An estimated 435,000 renters or 19% of renters are not caught up on rent.
• An estimated 2,644,000 adults or 35% of all adults statewide report having difficulty covering normal household expenses.
The Effect of the American Rescue Plan on North Carolina
President Biden’s American Rescue Plan will provide North Carolina with:
• $5.609 billion in state fiscal relief
• $3.649 billion in local fiscal relief
• More than $3.693 billion in relief for K-12 schools
• Economic impact payments of up to $1,400 per person (above the $600 per person provided in December) for more than 6,582,400 adults and 2,693,100 children. This is 89% of all adults in the state and 89% of all children in the state.
• Additional relief of up to $1,600 per child through the Child Tax Credit to the families of 2,088,000 children, lifting 137,000 children out of poverty
• Additional relief of up to nearly $1,000 through the Earned Income Tax Credit to 603,000 childless workers, including many in frontline jobs
• Marketplace health insurance premiums that are $1,661 lower per month for a 60-year old couple earning $75,000 per year