The first of a series of information forums , presented by the County Democratic party , was held on Oct 28 in town square . Macon Sense’s first issue was the ongoing opioids crises in Macon county and all of North Carolina. Information on the many resources available to our county residents was there for all to see. Check out the information links below the pictures.
– in 2015 there were over 22,000 deaths involving prescription opioids, about 62 per day
– 91 Americans die everyday from opioid overdose ( includes prescription and heroin)
– in 2014 almost 2 million Americans abused or were dependent on prescription opioids
– everyday, over 1,000 people are treated in emergency departments for misusing prescription opioids
– opioid overdose deaths are 45% higher in rural communities than urban, but naloxone use is only 22.5% higher
– in 2015, 1,567 died NC, up 15.8% from 2014